Legal Studies Program
John F. Kennedy University is the only school in northern California to offer an American Bar Association (ABA) approved bachelor’s degree in Legal Studies along with an ABA-approved paralegal certificate.
The program’s missions are to provide a curriculum that focuses on the practical application of the substantive law while encouraging critical thinking, ethical conduct, and social responsibility. With this in mind, students will gain the knowledge, practical application skills, attitudes, and values that are necessary to excel as legal professionals. Graduates are able to pursue careers as paralegals working for lawyers, law offices, corporations, and governmental agencies.
Note: The policies and procedures in this section of the catalog apply to both the paralegal certificate and the Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies programs.
Goals and Objectives
The Legal Studies programs will provide students with the knowledge, skills, tools, and values necessary to be effective members of a legal team.
At the end of the Paralegal Certificate curriculum, students should be able to:
- Proficiently draft legal documents;
- Describe and assess the ethical obligations and limitations of legal professionals in specific factual situations;
- Conduct legal research, both online and in the library;
- Apply analytical and critical thinking; and
- Effectively use software applications commonly utilized in a legal environment.
- At the end of the Bachelor’s Degree curriculum, students should be able to do all of the above outcomes and:
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral communication; and
- Describe the role of diversity in American Jurisprudence.
Note: Paralegals cannot provide legal advice except as directed by an attorney nor can they establish a client/business relationship or represent a client.
Our curriculum complies with California Business and Professions Code Sections 6450-6456 requiring paralegals to be educated at an accredited institution offering a minimum of 36 quarter units of legal specialty coursework.